Group Data Risk Manager
Location : Cardiff hybrid
Type : Permanent
Salary : c. £70k
You will be responsible for driving, managing, and steering the ongoing risk management of data governance across the Group. This will involve leading on the identification, assessment and reporting of data governance-related risks, controls, and opportunities across the Group, managing relationships with stakeholders and subject matter experts, and ensuring that the processes and methodologies related to data governance-related risks are maintained and improved where possible, and updated where necessary.
The main responsibilities of the Group Risk Manager will include:
- Driving the ongoing management of data governance risk, ensuring current processes and methodologies are fit for purpose and leading on the management/mitigation of exposures.
- Ensuring that processes and models are in place, and used, for determining the maturity of data governance risks, and controls, across the business.
- Chairing quarterly Data Governance Risk Working Group meetings and ensuring the production of related materials (e.g., meeting pack, minutes). Facilitating the sharing of knowledge and best practice across the Group.
- Leading on change initiatives and projects as they relate to data governance risk.
- Providing regular updates to the Group Change Risk Lead on ongoing work and initiatives, including demonstrating pro-activity in steering the data governance agenda.
- Being aware of leading and developing practices on managing data governance risk.
- Developing and maintaining stakeholder relationships across the Group, as relevant to the role.
- Providing consultancy and support to line 1 managers in managing risk within their areas via education and awareness sessions (e.g., workshops, training),
- Representing line 2 Risk in relevant committees, working groups and meetings.
- Supporting Group Risk team members, including but not limited to direct reports.
- Where requested by the Head of Group Risk or a Group Risk Senior Manager, undertaking or supporting ad hoc work.
- Discussing continual professional development with Head of Group Risk and Group Change Risk Lead to ensure that knowledge of the industry and regulatory best practices remains current.
- Commercially aware, forward-looking, and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, inquisitive, and proactive: the ability to identify, prioritise and delegate work, to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task and work under pressure.
- Integrity, honesty, and enthusiasm.
- Excellent communication skills: the ability to tailor communication (written and verbal) appropriately to the intended audience.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills: ability to build open, trust-based relationships with stakeholders of varying seniority (up to and including Heads of Department).
- Excellent problem-solving skills: the ability to tackle issues logically.
- Strong people management skills: the ability to provide oversight, feedback, challenge, coaching and mentoring to direct reports and other more junior team members.
- Excellent commercial awareness: understanding of the Group’s business lines, including opportunities, issues, and challenges.
- Strong understanding of regulatory and legislative landscape, macroeconomic environment, and broader data governance landscape and key technologies.
- Confident user of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Desirable Experience and qualifications
- Educated to degree level.
- Familiar with risk management methodology, frameworks, and techniques.
- Risk management qualifications.
- Data management background and/ or qualifications.