Location : Cardiff
Type : Permanent
Salary : Competitive salary
We are currently recruiting for a part qualified actuary to join our Reserving team within our Head Office in Cardiff (noting that due to the current pandemic, we are currently working from home). This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is looking to apply the knowledge and skills they have learnt over their first few years in an actuarial role of a general insurer to a fresh new environment – one which will challenge but ultimately reward you with responsibility for inputting to key projects.
This role will be based in our Actuarial team within Group Finance, and reports to the Head of Reserving. As a key part of our reserving team, you will be expected to contribute from day one – coming up to speed on the business and our existing processes and supporting our reserve reviews. With the ever-changing external environment, it is a great time to be working within the Reserving team.
The flat management structure and increasingly global reach means you gain invaluable direct contact with Senior Managers and Directors from across many departments.
- Assist with the end to end quarterly Solvency II Technical Provisions process for the UK, from the data to reporting stage
- Play a key role in the Reserving team’s input into the wider Group Finance team’s IFRS17 implementation
- Support the development and enhancement of our Solvency II Technical Provisions process
- Support the Reserve Reviews across various products
- Provide flexible support to ongoing projects within the Reserving team, such as moving to new data systems, developing aspects of the reserving process
- Build upon established relationships with our Claims and Pricing departments on key reserving matters
- Work alongside our “line two” Risk Actuaries to assist their review and challenge of our IFRS reserves and Technical Provisions
- Closely interact with our capital team to assist with regular capital assessments, and feed into model developments and model use
- Part Qualified actuary – ideally 2+ years reserving experience, preferably within personal lines
- Excellent academic background and strong numerical and analytical skills
- Proficient in spreadsheet tools (Microsoft Excel) with experience of VBA and SAS an advantage
- Experience of using RESQ software beneficial
- Good knowledge of Solvency II, including technical provisions, preferred
- Excellent project management and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and to reporting deadlines
- An eye for detail – not afraid of getting into the detail behind the data/calculations to challenge or be challenged
- Excellent communication, relationship and presentation skills – to senior management and non-actuarial colleagues in particular
- Good understanding of external motor market developments